Explore Lookout Mountain's Best Parks
Nothing in the United States compares to Lookout Mountain. There are countless reasons that residents love living here. First, the community is located in two states (Lookout Mountain, TN and Lookout Mountain, GA) for no end to the fun. Second, this suburb is located on a mountain range for impressive views of Moccasin Bend of the Tennessee River. And third, it has dozens of sports and local organizations for kids and adults to enjoy.
But that is certainly not the end to the fun. Here are just a few of Lookout Mountain's parks (both local and state parks) and recreation options.
Military Park on Lookout Mountain
The Chickamauga & Chattanooga National Military Park is one of the largest national parks in Tennessee and Georiga, spanning over 9,000 acres throughout the Chattanooga area. Lookout Mountain was a strategic location, especially during the Civil War, because of its elevation. That is why many of the historic points of interest are located within the Lookout Mountain community.
- Cravens House: An antebellum home that was the site of the Battle of Lookout Mountain in 1863. It features impressive views of Moccasin Bend.
- Point Park: This small park is filled with monuments to the Civil War (the largest being the New York Peace Memorial) and the "Battle Above the Clouds." Point Park has a great overlook of the Lookout Mountain Battlefield, Chattanooga, and Moccasin Bend.
- Sunset Rock: A large rock ledge overlooking the Wauhatchie Battlefield and Lookout Valley, TN. It's accessible by hiking trails or by West Brow Road.
Rock City in Lookout Mountain, GA
Another major tourist attraction and park in Lookout Mountain is Rock City. It is located on the Georgia side of Lookout Mountain, but offers views of 7 states — Georgia, Tennessee, Alabama, North Carolina, South Carolina, Kentucky, and Virginia — at its famous Lover's Leap spot. But that's not the only thing you can do at Rock City. Its activities include:
- Hiking through the park (a nearly 1-mile trail)
- Touring Fairyland Caverns
- Going on roadside Rock City barn tours
- Crossing Swing-A-Long Bridge over Chattanooga Valley
- Attending the annual Rocktoberfest
The Commons and Mountain Maze
The Commons (located in Lookout Mountain, TN) is a hub of community recreation. Not only does this park have a track, the Navarre Pavilion, ball fields, and tennis courts, but it also features summer camps (including the popular Kiddie Day for 4- and 5-year-olds). There is even an annual baseball parade, which starts at Fairyland Elementary School (in Lookout Mountain, GA) and ends at The Commons on Scenic Highway.
Other Lookout Mountain Facilities
If you are a member of the Lookout Mountain Community Center, you can access the Lookout Mountain Elementary School gymnasium (from 7AM to 9PM) and check out a key at the Police Department. There is also a community skating rink. Don't forget about the sports teams for kids — baseball, basketball, football, soccer, softball, T-ball, and wrestling — or the private golf clubs and outdoor adventuring clubs for adults.
Parks & Rec: Just One More Reason to Move Here
Need another reason to move to Lookout Mountain? There are all kinds of homes available in Lookout Mountain, from affordable houses to million-dollar properties (often on lots over an acre). Let me give you a personal tour of your favorite home. Call me at 423-756-2400 (office) or 423-304-5227 (cell).